Migraine Treatment/HIVMeds

Hey Docs,

Happy Holidays and thanks for taking the time to provide a lot of great information.

Im currently being treated for hemiparetic migraines with Verapamil and my neurologist thinks I can get even better results by switching to Flunarizine 5mg, which is not available in the U.S. and I would have to purchase from Canada, which the FDA allows if your doctor states that it is needed for a medical condition.

My question is that I can find no information about adverse effects with my current meds. I use the checking your meds link on AIDS Meds.com which lists verapamil with no adverse effects but does not list Flunarizine. Im currently on Sustiva 600 mg and Epzicom 600 mg and also taking Acyclovir once a day. My VL is Undet. And my cd4 is 573.

I assume that like Verapamil, Flunarizine is also a calcium channel blocker and it works pretty much the same so there should be no adverse effects with my current meds. What do you think?

Thanks

Generally calcium channel blockers can be used with efavirenz. There is a potentially serious interaction between protease inhibitors and calcium channel blockers that has to be carefully handled but you should be OK. I don't have any personal experience with flunarizine-if any Canadian or other reader has any knowledge or experience with flunarizine please post! KH

Re: HIV/AIDS Enquiry
HIV medication and multivitamins