loss of sensation in penis

I saw a question about this from several years ago, but it didn't really answer my question. I have very little incentive to have sex because of loss of sensation in my penis. I can achieve an erection, but it seems that 95% of the sensation in my penis is gone. Receiving oral sex is pretty pointless, because I feel very little sensation. I'm 49, infected for 21 years, and have finally become undetectable in the last year. I'm in good health (have climbed over 30 major mountains in the past 10 years, with viral loads between 500 - 150,000. My cd4s have ranged from 10 - 600, now they are 250). I do take androgel, free testosterone levels are normal. I trace the loss of sensation to 8-9 years ago when I was on 7 HIV drugs, including D4T, DDI, and hydoxaria concurrently. I stayed on these drugs for 3 years, and quit after I lost most of my hair (it came back curly). I had moderate neuropathy in my feet, but is very mild at this point. I've had numerous partners, can get an erection, but the pleasure is no longer there for me. Even with solo masterbation, in order to force an orgasm, it's pretty much all mental, with little physical sensation. Is it time to just give up on sex, and just climb mountains?

Sometimes some of the drug related neuropathy we used to see could include the groin resulting in bladder, anal/rectal/or genital problems. That problem often but not always would improve/reverse when offending drugs were stopped and/or the HIV status improved with alternative medications. In my handful of patients with problems like you describe I have referred to the U of MN Program in Human Sexuality for consultation often with positive results. I have learned the sexual function (even sensitivity) is a complex process that often needs an expert to diagnose and offer optimal treatment recommendations. KH

triomune
body and facial waste