Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

relation b/w diabetes and HIV infection
Dec 2, 2007

I have a friend of mine who is HIV positive and now his CD4 count is 750 which was increased from 150. He has a CMV infection of his eye. My question is that is diabetes common in HIV positive patients with this CD4 count? If yes, what do you recommend and if no is there a chance of developing it and what are its consequences?

Response from Dr. Conway

Diabetes is more common in the setting of certain inds of antiviral treatments, especially protease inhibitors. This type of diabetes seldom requires insulin treatment and can usually be controlled with diet and exercise with oral hypoglycmeics (if simply changing the antiviral treatments does not do the trick). This being said, it would be important to carefully screen anyone with eye problems (such as CMV) for diabetes. This is because diabetes can affect the eyes and it is important to make sure that there is nothing going on that could worsen the effect of the CMV on the eyes.

Previous
Re: HIV/AIDS Enquiry
Next
is this the rigth for lipoatrphy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.