Kidneystones from Crix?

Hello Doctor, Thank you for providing this valuable service to the HIV community. I am a 36y/o male diagnosed in 1999. I recently started having pain in my right testicle that radiated into my right groin and flank. I visited my urologist this morning and he said that it possibly was kidney stones and also said that there was some blood in my urine. When I was first diagnosed as HIV+ I enrolled in a clinical study and was taking Crixivan boosted with Norvir. I was on this regimen for one year, at which time the study was terminated for whatever reason. I have never had any kind of kidney stones or other problems. Could this be one of the implications of taking the crixivan? I know that stones are a concern with that particular drug. I have to go back in a week for a CT and follow up...Thanks again for your time... Ray

Response from Dr. Conway

Crixivan may be associated with kidney stones, but this is only while an individual is taking the medication. The risk disappears when treatment is stopped. More recently, there have been a few cases of kidney stones reported with atazanvir use, so this may be a consideration if you are taking this medication.

HIV Rapid Test
Enquiry-HIV/AIDS