Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Rapid Test
Nov 30, 2007

Hi, I kissed a guy with HIV about 2 years ago. I had a cold sore and even though I have been told I cannot get it this way I still wanted to get tested so I recently did. MY Rapid (Blood-prick) test was negative. Then I had someone tell me that those tests always have false positives AND false negatives. Am I just being paranoid since I prob was not at risk to begin with? Please help so I can rest my mind!

Response from Dr. Conway

The licensed rapid tests are of high quality and high accuracy. They can produce false positive results and should always be confirmed with an appropriate blood test before a diagnosis of HIV infection is definitively made. However, if the result is negative it reliably excludes HIV infection unless a person has only recently been infected (perhaps in the last 3 months) and has yet to develop a measurable antibody response to HIV.

Previous
Low CD4 and Load
Next
Kidneystones from Crix?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.