Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Low CD4 and Load
Nov 30, 2007

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago on a routine annual sexual health screening. In hindsight I feel I seroconverted in March this year when I had a bout of flu with fever and rash etc. Blood work was done and my initial counts were a CD4 of 185 and a Viral Load of 30,000. Second bloods have just been taken and my CD4 has now dropped to 114 and I am waiting for the load to come back. Incidentally, my cholesterol level has also gone through the roof. Should I now be looking to commence treatment? I am currently on Septrin to protect against pcp.

Response from Dr. Conway

You have a CD4 count well below 200, and this has been confirmed on two separate measures. If you have only recently been infected, it is theoretically possible that the count will rise in the coming number of weeks. You might therefore want to repeat the counts again in a couple of weeks to see where you stand and if it is still below 350, you should seriously consider going on treatment. If you were infected for a while (more than a year), I would tell you to consider treatment right now.

Previous
severe body itching
Next
HIV Rapid Test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.