Dr, please answer my concern?

Dr. Brian, my close friend has tested HIV positive recently. I used to drink immediately right after he drinks from the same glass. Sometimes I used to drink from the same straw also, and I used to drink immediately, after he drinks. I must have done like this at least ten times. Basically it means that I consumed and got exposed to his saliva. We are very very close, that is why I share drinks and food with him.

I am a straight person, never had any sex outside my marriage.

Do I need to worry about this? What is my risk for HIV? Should I get tested for HIV?

Response from Dr. Conway

There is no evidence of casual transmission of HIV. In particular, enzymes in your mouth and also in your stomach (not to mention the acid in your stomach) would kill the virus if it were ever to be present in the straw or in the drink that you shared. This being said, I would repeat that I am not aware of any evidence of transmission of HIV through a casual contact of the type that you describe.

Confused after reading archives
starting meds