aids medications when pregnant

I`m almost due and my doctor`s started me on Kaletra and Truvada,while I`m pregnant.Do you think this is safe?Thank you,MS.Smith

I have used that regimen in a number of my pregnant HIV+ patients and they have generally done well (no transmission to baby and their own health protected). Monitoring for status of glucose tolerance, renal function, other safety evaluations, and for the effectiveness of regimen (pregnancy can decrease levels of the lopinavir in Kaletra) are all done routinely when starting a regimen such as yours during pregnancy. There is some concern about the use of protease inhibitors (question of increased rate of prematurity) during pregnancy (mainly studies from Europe) while US studies have generally reported reassuring results. Many sites in the US report the outcome in the CDC based pregnancy registry program in order to continue the important effort to monitor for safety concerns. KH