Kidney and HIV

I have nephritis membranous, where my kidney is leaking blood and protein into my urine and raising my creatinine level. My nephrologist is reluctant to use immune suppressants( cortisone or prednisone).He has tried Atacan to control my kidney, but it raised my potassium level too high, and feels that I should start Atripla to SEE if it will work, and says that if it doesn't work after a few months I can quit!!! My cd4 is 550 V load 32,00 and I am worried that if I start Atripla and stop after a few months that I might build a resistance. I am hesitant in staring Atripla also because of the heinous side effects I've read about. The nephrologist says that if I continue without treating the kidney I COILD wind up on dialysis. HELP what should I do??????

HIV can cause kidney disease (HIV nephropathy). If you have that condition then treatment of HIV infection is highly recommended to protect residual kidney function. Aptripla often can't be used if there is renal impairment since 2 out of 3 of the drugs in it are metabolized in the kidney necessitating dose adjustments (Atripla is a fixed dose formulation of 3 HIV drugs including FTC and tenofovir-cleared by the kidney). Treatment with ACE inhibitors (drugs like lisinopril) can also protect kidney function in many cases. When used carefully resistance can be minimized and is not a reason to delay therapy. KH

small bowel problems
How can I treat protein in my urine?