taste of food has disappeared

Dear Doctor,

I am currently taking norvir, lexiva, trizivir. Recently my taste has gone and I can't taste my food. My online research says it might be the norvir. I talked to my doctor but he dismissed my concerns and told me to continue to take the meds. Is there anything that I can do? I cannot taste my food and the lost of appetite is present. Please help

A whole range of conditions can result in loss of taste (including conditions that result in loss of smell). In my experience a small subset of patients are highly susceptible to the mouth/tongue side effects of ritonavir (Norvir). An evaluaton by a neurologist or ENT specialist can sometimes find an explanation for loss of taste. The only way to really know if ritonavir is contributing is to try switching off the ritonavir for several months and see what happens. In some cases Lexiva can be dosed (higher) when ritonavir is not being used as a booster agent or an alternative regimen could be considered on a trial basis. KH

Atripla
supplement for anxiety?