HOV & Laser Hair Removal

I am HIV pos and have been for 14 years. I'm in great health. I recently went to have a cool wave laser hair removel process done on my back but was refused service since I was HIV pos. The reasoning is that it is dangerous for HIV patients to have the procedure. Can you give me any insight as I don't see how it can be dangerous since it is a non-inasive procedure. I am also on no medication with have a light sensitivity.

Response from Dr. Conway

There is a theoretical risk of the laser (or any other form of radiation) activating the virus...but this is a theoretical risk at best. Otherwise, there used to be some concern regarding the risk of "healing" after any procedure...which would not apply here. Finally, some would be concerned about the possibility of HIV being transmitted with any procedure done on an infected person...also does not apply here. I cannot think of a medical reason why you should not be able to proceed with this intervention.

medical insurance
Cutoff of ADAP coverage