Cataracts and HIV

I am a 34 YO male with an undetectable VL and a CD 4 count of 400. I¡ve been positive for several years now and am currently taking Truvada.

Yesterday I went into the eye doctor, as I normally do, and was diagnosed with the early stages of cataracts. My doctor said that was unusual in someone my age, especially since I have not had them before or since child hood. He stated that some medications can cause occlusion and wasn¡t sure if the Truvada was causing it or for that matter if the HIV was causing it. He of course checks for CMV, and any damage and has found nothing else.

I was wondering if there was any information on cataracts and HIV patients? I hate to cruise the internet looking for information because God knows I¡ll end diagnosing myself with Any help would be appreciated.

- Stephen

You don't mention which HIV meds you are on. Significantly increased risk for cataracts have not been clearly linked to any particular HIV regimen to my knowledge or in my own patient experience. Cataracts are fairly common in the general population. HIV itself has been mentioned as occasionally aggravating cataract formation though data is limited. If any reader is aware of any reports linking cataracts to any particular HIV regimen please post. KH

Semen
On PEP, what's the chances?