hairloss

can hiv medications or the hivvirus itself result in hairloss?i started treatment 1 year ago.use kaletra truvada.norvir,reyataz.i have been loosing hair the last year,and startet treatment with hiv medications 1 year ago.

Hair loss occurs commonly in the general population and may be increased in certain instances related to HIV infection. Those factors can make it tough to pin down if increased hair loss is due to a particular drug in a given HIV regimen. I have had many patients on the regimen you mention who have not noted any hair changes so if it occurs it is not common. In my experience indinavir and to a much lesser degree AZT or 3TC had some issues with hair loss though those drugs all share a common feature-they have been around for along time so more is known about any problems they could cause. We have much less experience with many of the newer regimens and meds. I have seen several patients who seem to have increased hair loss due to the FTC in Truvada that may have decreased when the NRTI part of the regimen was changed. KH

Atripla Side Effects
Truvada and nevirapine side effects