Can Lipoatrophy be prevented?

Hello Doctors:

I was officially diagnosed with HIV In July 2007. I believe that I was infected between 1998 and definately in 2003. I'm on Atripla and I take Lexapro. Also, I do take vitamins every other day and sometime excersie. The question I have is how do I prevent Lipoatrpophy from occuring? My VL is 306. Down from 58,000. And my CD4 count currently is 300 up from 227. I've only been on HIV meds for about a month now.

Thank you for all that you do.

The risk for lipoatrophy is higher with older age and a lower nadir CD4 count so you are now on HIV meds so those factors are addressed. Certain HIV meds are associated with a higher risk for lipoatrophy (ie D4T or AZT= thymidine type drugs) . The drugs in Atripla have little association with lipoatrophy so that treatment is a good choice. KH

Candida Infection
long term side effect of sustiva or combivir