Hair Loss

Hi there myself and my girlfriend are both infected with HIV my girlfriend is in receipt of treatment I am not yet. Her hair has been falling out slowly for more than a year, but now it's falling at a rapid rate, strangely my hair is no falling out at a scary rate even though I'm not on any meds yet. Could this be a sign that whats left of my health is deteriorating or what can we do to combat this. we have been taking the Iron supp. for almost a month now after reading the article on this site but to no avail.

Good question. I haven't seen what I would consider a really good article on that subject myself. A few HIV meds seem to have some hair effects in a minority of individuals (indinavir and lamivudine are the ones I have noted). In my experience I can't make any sweeping generalizations about hair loss and HIV status other than AIDS patients in the pre-effective therapy days often noted increased hair loss particularly in the setting of failing health and poor nutritional status. Hair loss is fairly common in the general population so it can be a challenge to sort out and identify a clear cause and effect. KH

Why are my eyes and Face Swelling so badly?
DNA PCR false positive