Atripla Rash

I started Taking Atripla.. Its been 9 days since the first time I took atripla. On the 6th day i noticed a small blotch on my chest. Didn't think much of it, the next day, it was covering my kneck, arms and chest, I called my doctor to see what he said, he had me come in, and checked it out, said it was common for this to happen. and told me to stop taking the atripla. He told me i could tak benadryl which helps a little bit, but not a whole lot. I've also been using hydrocortizone cream, which helps quite abit. Now, my question is. A good friend of mine is a Doctor that specializes in HIV, He said that it doesn't make sence that my doctor is having me just stop without putting me on anything else for the time being. My Cd4 cells are pretty low. I was wondering if this is a good idea. Oh, also, yesterday (day 9..second day with no atripla) the rash has spread to almost my entire body. my face, arms, legs, thighs, private areas, back, everywhere. my doctor had called me and asked me to come back in. when i got there, he put me on a Prednizone taper..... is this a good thing? What should I do about my treatment? Im worried that im going to build a resistance to Sustiva. ... Thanks

Hopefully you are being managed by someone who is a HIV specialist with much experience in HIV care. Often one would treat through an Atripla related rash with antihistamines and other interventions. There is a concern about the development of resistance if Atripla is stopped suddenly after starting. If I had a patients starting Atripla who developed a severe rash that I felt warranted stopping the Atripla I would switch to a boosted protease inhibitor therapy in many cases. KH

hump back
positive ANA