What's Next?

A year ago I was put on sustiva and within ten days developed a horrible rash. After a couple of weeks I was put on Kaletra and Truvada and have been on it for a year. I have suffered diarrhea for most of the year and after recently taking an antibiotic I have constant diarrhea. I have stopped taking my meds and my doctor is considering a new regiment. My viral load has been undetectable for a year and my t-cells are now 555. What would you recommend as my next option? Thanks.

I often recommend switching meds due to side effects when the viral load is undetectable since resistance is less of a concern in that situation. Many other boosted PI regimens may hae less diarrhea than Kaletra in some patients (such as atazanavir, saquinavir, darunavir, or fosamprenavir). Raltegravir, the Merck integrease inhibitor, will likely be available soon in the US and may be an option as well. KH

hives and HIV
Peripherial Neuropathy