Re: Doctors call me The Enigma

Thank you for your response. However, you may have misread my original note: all of my antibody tests have been negative over past 4.5+ years. CD4 ratio has bounced between 1.3-1.7. CD4 % had been usually 39-40%, dropping to 37% recently (w/440 absolute count). My Dr wont prescribe trial of meds without definitive diagnosis, so I am between a rock and a hard place. Any other comments or advice? Thank you again.

Response from Dr. Conway

Based on this information, I would say that you are not infected with HIV. You have a negative antibody test and a normal CD4 cell percentage and CD4/CD8 ratio. THe fact that the aboslute count is on the lower side is of no importance here, given all of the other information you are providing. You will recall that the range of normal for the absolute count is about 400 - 1300, reflecting the very broad range that exists in people (such as yourself) who are not infected with HIV.

have I got late stage HIV?
Info on AIDS Dementia and End Stage AIDS