Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

neuropathy or neurosyphilis?
Sep 24, 2007

Hi Doc., My name is Nick and Ive been positive 6 years now. I am taking Combivir and Sustiva since the beginning (no drugs change) and my labs are good: CD4 840; viremy undetectable; all other labs OK. Two years ago, during a routine check, I tested positive to syphilis (previously all negative) with VDRL negative, TPHA 1:5120, FTA Abs IgG 1:20. No symptoms. I was treated with three shots of penicillin for one week and later the tests were VDRL neg., TPHA 1:5120, FTA Abs IgG 1:80. The doctors said that the cure was successful. However, shortly after that (that is about a year ago) I started to have several neurological problems, like tremors and muscle spasms, tingling sensation in arms and legs, excruciating pain in the chest, back and neck, and lately also buzz sounds in my ears, accompanied with increasing depression, anxiety and several panic attacks. Exams excluded any cardiovascular problems. I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy mainly due to psychological disorder (depression) The doctors excluded neuro-syphilis, although the did not want to perform any CSF fluid analysis. I am now under psychotherapy and taking also Pregabalin. My questions are: 1) can we really exclude neuro-syphilis? 2) are there any know interactions with my current therapy and Pregabalin? 3) is there any real cure for neuropathy? Thank you for your help and clarifications

Response from Dr. Henry

Often a CSF analysis is necessary to fully evaluate for neurosyphilis. The evolution of your syphilis serologies would be worth tracking to gain a sense of the adequacy of your earlier treatment. Usually Combivir/Sustiva is OK to take with Pregabalin (Lyrica). Neuropathy can be very frustrating to optimally diagnose and manage. The 3TC in Combivir can occasionally aggravate the problem when particularly when more localized to feet/toes.

Previous
medication
Next
Gastronitestinal issues

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.