Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd4
Sep 19, 2007

Hi I very recently found out that i'm HIV positive, my cd4 is 440 don't know what the viral load is yet. but my doctors seem to think that i'll be fine, after reeding some articles on this subject i'm not sure anymore if my doctors are correct, I mean should I be on meds with a cd4 count like that?

Response from Dr. Henry

In the US currently the typical CD4 threshold for recommending antiretroviral therapy is < 350. That recommendation comes from studies noting a relatively low short term (ie 3 year) risk to develop AIDS for persons with CD4 counts > 350. A new consideration is the risk for non-AIDS but possibly HIV-related conditions such as heart disease and cancer that may be modestly increased in presons with CD4 counts < 500. If a patient is symptomatic, has a rapidly dropping CD4 count and/or a high viral load (ie > 100,000 copies/ml) then treatment is often considered at higher CD4 counts. The presence of other conditions (ie hepatitis B or C), mental health status, chemical dependency issues, housing, readiness to committ to long-term treatment, risk behavior levels with sexual/needle partners, and many other factors enter into what is often a highly individualized decision about the best time to start treatment for a given patient. Access to quality HIV care including uninterrupted access to antiretroviral therapy is a big hurdle for many in the US and throughout the world.

Previous
reiter's syndrome abd HIV/AIDS
Next
Ibuprofen & Atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.