Dr. Brian, sorry for not being detailed about my tests. Do i still need a cd4 test.

Dr. Brian, I had couple of exposures in the past with prostitutes. During one incident the condom broke and later I got tested for HIV 1 and HIV 2. Both the tests are negative. The other exposures I had were open mouth kissing, again with prostitutes, no sex involved. I have got genital herpes after the exposure. I am left with some skin conditions, I still have them. All my HIV 1 and HIV 2 tests are negative. The last exposure I had was three years ago. I am an Indian who came to United States ten years back. All the exposures were in the United States, except one. I had one exposure in India in year 2000, where also the condom broke. Do I need to worry about any rare types or subtypes of HIV, because all my exposures were with prostitutes?

Response from Dr. Conway

Tests done 3 months or more after a possible exposure are extremely reliable and can be takne as evidence that the exposure did not transmit HIV infection. If you are well, I would not worry about rare strains for HIV, over and above the fact that such subtypes are extremely rare to begin with. The fact that you did get herpes but not HIV from these types of exposure is a good reminder of how difficult it is for HIV to be transmitted in comparison to other sexual infections such as HSV.

Ultra High VL
hiv test after dog bite