White film In Mouth

I was recently diagnosed with HIV. CD4 is about 300 VL 34,000. Just started medication. After I brush my teeth some mornings there is a white film that creates a few minutes afterwards, I can take in off with my hand or a tissue. Can you explain what this is and how to control it if possible? Thanks

Response from Dr. Conway

At this moderate level of immune disease (CD4 in the 200-350 range), minor opportunistic infections can occur. White film in the mouth may be a number of things, the two most common being oral hairy leukoplakia (OHL) and oral thrush. You should show this to your doctor, as the thrush is very easy to treat, often with a liquid you swish around in your mouth. As for OHL, it tends to get better as your immune system improves with HIV treatment. I'm sure your doctor will be able to tell you what your problem is, or at least know what tests need to be ordered to figure it out.

finger pain
ND diag. intestinal candida...