HAART and Weight Gain

I have been HIV+ for about 3 months now. Previously I weighed about 132-150 lbs, and I weighed that amount since I was 16. I was severly Bulimic and Anorexic from the time I was 15 until I was 19, I am 21 now. I had not binged, purged, or restricted my food intake in anyway shape or form in over 2 years. When I started on HAART I weighed 145 lbs, and now I weigh 160 lbs. This is EXTREMELY distressing to me. I have started forcing myself to vomit again and am restricting my food intake to about 1,200 calories a day. I don't know what to do. My infectious disease specialist has referred me to an immunologist who he feels can better treat me, since he is not really familiar with alternatives to HAART. Gaining weight is SOOOOOOOOOO distressing to me. I consider killing myself every time I see the scale numbers going up. I am forcing myself to jog 10 miles a day, but the numbers just KEEP going up no matter what I do. By my calculation I am taking in a negative of 200 calories a day. I should NOT be putting on weight. I feel absolutely terrible and I do not feel like I can continue taking these medications.

BTW-I am taking Reyataz, and Truvada (unboosted). My doctor offered to switch me to Reyataz, Norvir, and Viramune but doesn't know how much it will help.

I am going nutts. :-(

Response from Dr. Conway

The first thing I would say is to not give up here...Purging and vomiting is not the answer, as it may severely compormise the efficacy of the HAART regimen. Gaining moderate amounts of weight as you begin HAART may be prefectly normal, as your body's immune system and your general health improve. I would ask you to give it a few months, exercise and eat sensibly and the situation will most likely stabilize. I am not sure why I would change the regimen as long as it is working...and try not to go nuts...

DISCORDANT COUPLE
IMOD