|DNA PCR effective for how long?
Sep 4, 2007
Dear Dr Conway- I've read that toward late stage HIV disease, antibody tests become less effective. Is the DNA PCR the most useful test at that point? Also, does the average DNA PCR test look for all subtypes of HIV1, or does it have certain limitations like the ELISA?
| Response from Dr. Conway
The DNA PCR kit is extremely sensitive and will detect infected cells at all stages of infection, including during advanced AIDS. I detects all subtypes of HIV. There are certain individual strains that might not be detected due to genetic variation, but these are extremely rare. In such cases, you would also see other signs of HIV infection, such as a lower CD4 count or reversed CD4/CD8 ratio as a clue that infection is indeed present.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- How Long Does An Hiv Pcr Dna Test Take?
- Itchy Rash After Receptive Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Testicular Pain After Drinking Water Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Causative Agents Of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.