Hair loss

e Hello Doctors, I have been diagnosed HIV positive exactly 4 months ago. It was a primary infection and my viral load at that time was more than 1 million copies. I started with the treatment straight away (Kaletra + Combivir). 2 months later the hair loss started. My medication was changed in order to isolate that posibility. I take now Truvada + Strocrin. I've been checked every month and the viral load is going down: 1200, 259 and currently 111 copies and CD4 over 500. But nothing really changed regarding the hair loss. Aprox. 300-400 falls every day and still continues like this. I am seriously afraid of being completely bald. I'd say I've lost already more than 50% of it (only in the head). Is this sympthom known ? Is it temporary ? Is it reversible ? I am starting to despair....

Occasional patients have reported hair loss as a consequence of primary HIV infectio. In my experience 3TC (part of Combivir) is one of the drugs most commonly noted to result to hair loss (still fairly uncommon). The FTC in Truvada is very similar to 3TC so there could be a link there if the 3TC was partly responsible for your hair loss. There isn't much experience with nuke backbone regimens not including either 3TC or FTC so whether another switch might be reasonable is unclear to me but may be worth discussing with your HIV specialist. Patience until your HIV situation has stabilized (undetectable virus and doing otherwise OK) is often the prudent course (and see if the hair situation stabilizes/reverses). KH

hypercoagulable state with art
darunavir & CNS effects