Unsafe Sex ->, Flu-like Illness -> Health Issues

Hello Dr. Conway:

I engaged in a potentially very risky sexual act early in 2006 (unprotected receptive anal sex). That incident was the only time I have done this act before or since. The person I had sex with was of unknown HIV status, and when I tried to pin the person down later, I was unable to get a clear answer regarding HIV status. That said, the unprotected part was this persons preference apparently, which is not good in terms of risk.

After this event, I had gotten a severe flu-like illness several weeks after the sexual encounter. My family doctor thought it was mono (but I did not level with him about my conduct initially so he did not suspect HIV). I am 41 years old. In the year and a half since the sexual event and my subsequent flu-like illness occurred my body is a lot different from what it had been before the encounter. I have had numerous outbreaks of warts on my hands especially, and also on my feet (I had previously had one or two warts as a kid years before). Warts were not something I had seen for years. They were so numerous, I had to go to a dermatologist to have them frozen off over several treatments. I also have developed in the last 6 months what looks like molluscum bumps around my eyes that I had never had before. I also have developed what I would describe as a "swollen neck" for lack of a better term that all of my friends and family have commented on since this all transpired, a condition which remains to this day.

I did get HIV antibody tests done at 2, 4, 6 and 12 months which were all negative. I even got two PCR pro-viral DNA HIV tests at 3 and 6 months which were undetected for HIV. I also was tested for the standard STDs about two months after the incident, and all came back negative. I was tested for all of the hepatitis types as well which were negative (also tested negative for syphilis).

All-in-all, I have never felt myself since this incident

My questions are: Is it possible for a person to become infected with HIV but not have it detected out to a year, especially with the tests I have had (Ive had WB (that one was mistakenly ordered by the dr), Elisas for HIV1 & 2, OraQuick and PCRs)? Do you think I should pursue the HIV issue further based on what I have written? Any comments you can make would be greatly appreciated. Also, while I have never placed myself at risk since, I have not tested for over 6 months Should I test again? Finally, if these issues are not HIV-related, any ideas? HPV maybe?

Regards,

Tim

Response from Dr. Conway

Dear Tim:

I think you have had enough HIV testing to rule this out as a cause of your symptoms. Warts are extremely contagious and it may well be that this is what you acquired during this contact, or other lower risk contacts. As for the molluscum, this is a common condition to begin with. If all you have are a few lesions, I would not be concerned about this.

Warts
muscle enzyme