Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

do i need medications / repeat test

dear Dr Conway,

I had sex with a sex worker last April 30. I did not consider it as high risk as I sucked het clit and she gave oral sex. On May 13, I had sex with my wife, and then again on May 20, and almost everyday thereafter. On June 2, we both had sore throat, then I got a rash on my trunks, and she got a rash on her arms. No fever, however feeling of low fever in the pm. Sore throat lasted for a month. We continued our sex life. She had a flushed face as if she is blushing, and I have red white palms. Now she had pimples that doesn't go away, and I have also pimples on my body. we both feel very tired everyday. on july 17 or 77 days after possible exposure, I had hiv test and the result was HIV-1 & HIV-2 antibodies non-reactive. Is this reliable? I am now experiencing dry mouth and seeing lots of floaters on my right eye. My wife is having occasional abdominal cramps and headache, and recently had red eyes. Are we hiv free or do we need to repeat lab tests?

thank you and more power...

Response from Dr. Conway

Oral sex does not carry a high risk of HIV transmission, but there is some risk associated with it. I am reassured by your negative HIV antibody test at 3 months after the exposure. Given the symptoms you have had, however, I would probably do an HIV antigen test or PCR test to be sure. I would also consider tests for other sexual infections that are more easy to transmit, such as syphilis.

Fatigue and Myoma
Warts