The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

do i need medications / repeat test
Aug 31, 2007

dear Dr Conway,

I had sex with a sex worker last April 30. I did not consider it as high risk as I sucked het clit and she gave oral sex. On May 13, I had sex with my wife, and then again on May 20, and almost everyday thereafter. On June 2, we both had sore throat, then I got a rash on my trunks, and she got a rash on her arms. No fever, however feeling of low fever in the pm. Sore throat lasted for a month. We continued our sex life. She had a flushed face as if she is blushing, and I have red white palms. Now she had pimples that doesn't go away, and I have also pimples on my body. we both feel very tired everyday. on july 17 or 77 days after possible exposure, I had hiv test and the result was HIV-1 & HIV-2 antibodies non-reactive. Is this reliable? I am now experiencing dry mouth and seeing lots of floaters on my right eye. My wife is having occasional abdominal cramps and headache, and recently had red eyes. Are we hiv free or do we need to repeat lab tests?

thank you and more power...

Response from Dr. Conway

Oral sex does not carry a high risk of HIV transmission, but there is some risk associated with it. I am reassured by your negative HIV antibody test at 3 months after the exposure. Given the symptoms you have had, however, I would probably do an HIV antigen test or PCR test to be sure. I would also consider tests for other sexual infections that are more easy to transmit, such as syphilis.

Fatigue and Myoma

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint