The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advanced HIV & dementia
Aug 31, 2007

My aunt was recently admitted to hospital after several months of hallucination and depression. We recently discovered she has had HIV for the last 7 years. Doctors told us her brain is shrinking and this reduces her chances of survival. She is not talking anymore, doesn't recognise anyone. Its hard as she has 4 small children. The signs of AIDS are there. She started ARVs two months back. What can the doctors do for her, is there any treatment or anything good to give?

Response from Dr. Conway

HIV infection often affects the brain, either directly, or through other infections or cancers. The first thing to do is to make sure she does not have an infection, cancer or other condition that can be treated successfully on its own. Testing would involve blood tests, a spinal tap and a CT scan (or other imaging test, such as an MRI) of the head. If nothing is found, it may be that HIV itself is responsible for her symptoms. One way or another, going on ARVs is essential for her. It will help address the symptoms of HIV dementia (if this is the diagnosis). It will also help rebuild her immune system and help combat the infection or cancer that may be present if this is a consideration. In some cases, people make a dramatic recovery once they start ARVs, so I would keep an open mind about her untimate prognosis at this point.

please help me, from India
Dr, i went and gave the blood for HIV RNA PCR test.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint