Helping an HIV+ family

My mother has a childhood friend who was unable to have children and adopted an HIV+ infant in Puerto Rico. Recently she was removed from her home in Puerto Rico due to discrimination against her child who is now age 9 and moved to Philadelpha in a run down apartment(it was the first thing she could find out of frustration). I offered to help and am having them stay with me for a while until they find an apartment in the city. I'm a biology major and unlike others who have turned her away in her family I have a fairly good understanding of the how the virus transmits and am less worried about that as I am for the child's welfare. I would really like to help this kid get quality treatment in Philadelphia. I would also love to know if there's any organizations I can contact to advise the family on what to do in this situation.

Response from Dr. Conway

This is a very sad story. You (and she) are in my thoughts and prayers. The question that you ask is really one that can best be answered at the local level. I would probably begin by contacting the local AIDS service organization and see how they can help, both in Pennsylvania and perhaps even give you some ideas of what is available in Puerto Rico. Perhaps some of our readers would have additional suggestions.

hair color and HIV antibody test result.
about AIDS