lymph node

Dear Dr. Conway,

Last December I found out that I'm HIV positive. I am infected since October 2005. I have a persistent inguinal lymph node (just one). Sometimes I have softer bowels. I feel very healthy and strong. Figures are good and, so I'm not on meds yet.

My question: are my symptoms normal even with good numbers?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Conway

It may or may not be related to your HIV infection. It would be important to get these things checked out by your doctor to make sure. In some cases, persistently enlarged lymph nodes need to be biopsied, to make sure it isn't cancer. With respect to the soft bowel movements, it might be worthwhile doing tests to make sure a bacterial or parasitic infection is not present. It is important to remember that even if the CD4 count is good, you can get a number of minor HIV-associated conditions and even some cancers, even if you are not at risk for the major opportunistic infections.

Are immunity boosters to be avoided
rare cases