Are immunity boosters to be avoided

Dear Dr. Conway,

This question doesn't really fall into your category, but it doesn't really fall into anyone else's either, since it's a bit of a strange question. I ask you because you answered a recent question for me regarding Atripla side effects.

I have read that immunity boosting vitamins, etc., should be avoided by persons with HIV. Does this include the immunity boosters in smoothies? It seems a slightly ridiculous question, but I get them frequently and thought it wiser than not to ask.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Conway

The issue with immunity boosters (much like vaccines) is that they may have an effect to boost viral replication. This occurs because they stimulate the immunecells that contain the HIV to replicate faster, and therefore produce the virus they contain at a faster rate. As long as you are on effective anti-HIV therapy, this more than compensates for this effect. In that case, the immune boosters can be taken to emphasize their positive benefits.

Lipodissolve and HIV
lymph node