Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ Child lifespan estimate?
Aug 12, 2007

I keep reading how with current medicines an HIV+ person can experience a normal lifespan. From everything I have read the current estimate assuming meds are taken and no severe resistance and complications lifespan is somewhere between 20-35 years. With more complications as the years increase.

Further, and more importantly, what about the lifespan expected for a child diagnosed with HIV at the age of 5 ? I have heard there are 20 year olds + born with HIV, but I really want to know what is your best and average estimate here ?

Response from Dr. Henry

I have not seen any papers with updated estimages of life expectancy for HIV+ persons currently in childhood. The quoted estimates of 20-30+ and beyond pertain to young adults newly diagnosed with optimal access to good health care. The younger the patient the more years it would take to achieve a normal life expectancy. For HIV+ persons who are suppressed on a well tolerated HIV regimen the failure rate per year is low so there are hopes that HIV suppression and thus avoidance of HIV-related morbidity and mortality can be avoided for very long periods of time. Since effective HIV therapy has only been available for 10-11 years projecting 30-40-50+ years into the future is problematic in the absence of any data. If any reader knows of a good article on the subject of long term prognosis of kids with HIV in the modern treatment era please post. KH

Previous
One last question and i will be done. I cannot lead a miserable life like this. Please help me.
Next
atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.