re.What would you do?

Dr Conway,

I have written to you previously regarding erythematous candidiasis on the roof of my mouth for well over a year now and am now awaiting a biopsy as you suggested previously. At my last appointment I was seen by a new dental specialist who suggested the white grooves on the floor of my mouth were due to smoking damage and the candidiasis was not clearing up because of continued smoking. I stopped smoking for 3 weeks and the white grooves disappeared in 5 days, unfortunately the thrush did not and slowly increased over the 3 week period. When I started smoking again the grooves reappeared within 3 days. Do you think smoking could have anything to do with my continued problems and has HIV been completely ruled out by multiple negative tests up to 6 months?

Would it be possible to have negative combined antibody and antigen tests 6 months after exposure and 4.5 months after the first appearance of oral thrush and still be infected?

I would be really grateful if you could answer this.

Response from Dr. Conway

I have no reason at all to doubt your HIV test results and would rely on their validity. As for your mouth, it is certainly quite possible that jsut stopping smoking and then using a short course of antifungal medications woudl resolve the problem permanently, and this is certainly worth a try. Smoking certainly has an effect on your immune systme, and an additional effect on the tissues of your mouth, so I would certainly belive that what is happening to you could all be due to smoking. Good luck with this...

Dr. Brian, i have a concern.
One last question and i will be done. I cannot lead a miserable life like this. Please help me.