Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

HIV and herpes

I had unprotected sex in 2000 with a unsafe person,then I was tested HIV negative and HSV-2(herpes)positive. Since then I have tested negative for HIV. Is it possible to be HSV-2 positive and HIV negative from the same exposure if the partner was HIV+ve and HSV2 +ve. Please answer.

Response from Dr. Conway

This is absolutely possible. HSV-2 is much more easy to trnamit than HIV, so I would actually expect to see a number of people who weer exposed to both viruses at the same time, and only acquired the herpes. Over the course of a year of regualr unprotected sexual contact of an uninfected woman with a male carrying both infections, there is a 35% chance of her getting herpes, but at most a 5% chance of getting HIV.

Androgel and finesteride at same time?
RE: elidel for anal itching