Brown spot on my nose?

My boyfriend occasionally gets a dark brown/red spot on the tip of his nose. It comes and goes sometimes it's not noticeable, and other times its very noticeable. He does NOT have HIV/AIDS. Sometimes he gets small red marks around the neck area (no not hickies) ...What could this be? I'm more concerned about his nose.

Response from Dr. Conway

Obviously, one of the more characteristic manifestations of HIV disease on the skin is Kaposi's sarcoma, which is dark red in color and raised or flat. It does not come and go as you describe, but it can sometimes be more subtle, and simply be small lesions anywhere on the skin. What you describe does not sound like Kaposi's sarcoma, but you may want to have it checked out by a physician. You also sound a bit concerned about him (and then perhaps you) having HIV infection. If this is the case, you and your boyfriend should get tested to clear the air about this concern.

can i transmit the HIV virus with unprotected sex?
Hi Dr. i forgot to tell you that i am HSV2 positive.