please help me understand.

Dr. Brian, I asked for an antibody test and the result report says screening test for HIV 1 and HIV 2 antibody and antigen and the result is non reactive. The test value is .31 and the cut off value is 1.00 and the method they used is M E I A. I know it is negative. I am from India, and got this test done. Does this mean that they tested for both antibodies and virus also?

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Conway

MEIA simply refers to the type of Elisa (EIA) test that was done, as the Elisa is the standard test for the measurement of HIV antibodies. Your sample generated a signal that was well below the cut-off to establish that the result is positive, so you can be quite certain that the result was negative. The test you did detects antibodies to HIV-1 and HIV-2, it does not measure the virus directly. This is only done by the newer fourth generation tests.

Dr. Brian, please please answer. I am having serious depression, i am going to psychiatrist but no help. I have two last concerns in the same question and i will be done. What should i do. Please Please advice me.
can i transmit the HIV virus with unprotected sex?