Diarrhea and Stomach Discomfort

I have been taking Kaletra and Combivir for 5 weeks now, and the diarrhea (sorry for being so graphic, but stools are orangy-yellowish, I guess because of the Kaletra gel capsules (tablets are not yet available where I live)) and stomach discomfort have been constant, without signs of improvement, even though I have tried different suggestions read in the forums (calcium, pancreatic enzymes, eating meals with pills, etc.) Should I just wait some more weeks to see if my body adjusts? Do you have any other suggestions I could try? Thank you for the help.

Response from Dr. Conway

This is the main dose-limiting side effect of the Kaletra. I would want to make sure that you don't have some bowel infection or other condition that could be treated more specifically. If this were not the case, I would try high dose Imodium or Lomotil for a few days to see if it controls it. If not, it may be time to change your pills t something you will tolerate in the long term.

side effects
Do certain excipients in HIV medications cause side effects?