help please, my meds are distroying me

I will try to make this clear and short. I had cervical cancer before I was HIV positive 10 years ago. I had a hysterectomy with lymph node dissection. I have been on levoxel for hypothroidism and I also have permanent edema. I take estradol for hormone replacement. I take triemterine for the edema which as you know is potasssium sparing. I started takeing combivir, norvir and invirase a year ago, and 6 weeks later became so potassium deficient that I was hospitalized 3 times in 6 months. My doctors just keep raising the amount of Klorcon pills I take a day ( up to 5 a day now). They say the potassium problem is from the triemterine, but after 10 years of taking that why didn't I get low potassium till I started on the hiv meds? I have horrible side effects still one year later from all the HIV meds combined with the potassium pills that are hard on the stomache to begin with. I also have concerns about the thyroid meds which i read can cause blood clots after taking for long periods of time. i've been on them for 10 years. Is it dangerous to stop my meds? My headaches are very bad, like someone is stabbing me all the time not only in my head but all over my body and my chest is constantly hurting. My legs are so sore I can't touch them around the ankles, Help I don't know where to turn.

Response from Dr. Conway

It sounds to me as if you are having some chronic side effect problems with headache and diffuse pains. Also, you seem to have some element of potassium loss, either through your kidneys or your gut. As for the first set of side effects, it is often seem with AZT and you should be thinking of an alternative to this. As for the potassium loss, it is not clearly associated with any of the agents you are on, except for the protease inhibitor, and it is not oftne seen with that as it is. Going off medications is a bad idea, as it may well lead to rapid progression of your HIV disease. I might think that a regimen without AZT (such as Truvada or Kivexa) along with a non-nucleoside agent might do the trick. With Atripla, the entire regimen would be one pill once a day. Is something like this an option?

houseguest is killing me
how safe iam ?