Cholesterol and Blood Pressure on the RISE!

I'm sure you have been asked this before but I was not able to locate an answer. I'm a 37 year old male diagnosed HIV+ in August of 2005. My CD4's were less than 150 and my viral load at around 240,000. I've been on Kaletra and Truvada since December of 2005. My CD4's are now around 800 and I am undetectable. My problem is that over the last year I have had an increase in cholesterol from 163 up now to 247. My diet has not changed since before I was diagnosed. I have always eaten healthy and exercised regularly and have never had issues with cholesterol. My Doctor wants to switch me to another cocktail in hopes that it will help lower my cholesterol and blood pressure. This was after I opposed more medications to treat these issues. I know that it's a risk to be off my medications but I feel that it would be more aggressive to quit them for a month or two in addition to diet and exercise, to see if doing so will lower my cholesterol and blood pressure without having to add yet another medication to the mix. It seems that its a toss up, either I change my HIV meds and risk liver disease...stay on the ones I am currently on and risk heart disease...or get off of them completely and risk falling into the black! Please give me some direction!

Response from Dr. Conway

Given the results of the SMART study, it seems as if going off medications whatever your CD4 count is a very bad idea...once you start, you need to continue taking them. This being said, you can easily design a simpler regimen that will maintain your virologic suppression and immune system recovery without risking your liver. As an example, a switch from Kaletra to Reyataz in your case might well accomplish this goal. I would encourage you to discuss the possible options with your Doctor.

Looking for Guidance....
Life expectancy for rest of us