VIN 3

I have recently been diagnosed with VIN 3. I am having a biopsy and bloods done next week by a dermatologist specialising in vulvar problems. I was diagnosed in March 06 after PCP. I am 47 and peri menopausal. I have 7 lesions and thickened skin on my perineum. Is this a common disease for women like me? My specialist said it is due to my weakened immunity. CD4 346/ VL undetectable. What is the prognisis and treatment? I live in London.

Response from Dr. Conway

Vulvar neoplasia is linke to human papilloma virus (HPV) infection, a condition that is more common and progresses more rapidly in the setting of HIV infection. This being said, VIN is a pre-cancerous lesion that, if treated well (as it appears to be in your case) rarely progresses to a full blown malignant state.

Need Solution
Gut concerns