Adherence/compliance issues among adolescents and young people

Dear Experts,

This forum was as close as I could find, so please forgive me if the question is in an inappropriate place!

I would like to know whether a) any research has been done on adherenve to ART among young people and b) whether any guidelines exist for how to implement treatment schedules for those aged 15-24?

There are issues such as confidentiality, lifestyle factors, relationships with parents/guardians (particularly if the young person was infected through injecting drug use, say).

HIV also combines the demanding treatment schedule of many chronic diseases with the stigma of sexually transmitted diseases. I have been able to find only a few studies of this phenomenon, particularly looking in Europe.

Many thanks,

Chris Grollman

A good over view in a powerpoint format is available at http://www.nynjaetc.org/curriculum/adolescents.ppt

The US treatment guidelines available at www.aidsinfo.nih.gov cover treatment of adolescents and adults. Your point is well taken about the challenge of treating younger people and the lack of good data in many instances. KH

Leg muscle pain
Side effects of Aids or Aids Meds??