re:What would you do?

Dr Conway,

Following your suggestion to try a different kind of anti-fungal (to nystatin) to treat the erythematous candidiasis which has been on the roof of my mouth for many months, I was switched to amphotericin lozenges which have had exactly the same effect - reduce the candidiasis to a red mark which is still slightly lumpy and grows back slowly. I am also experiencing what I can only describe as grooves horizontally across the floor of my mouth which grow progressively more pronounced before turning white (especially following salt water rinses) and into dead skin which i can esily remove (until this point it feels like a mini cattle grid across the floor of my mouth!) I feel the two conditions must be related in some way. Following my 6 negative tests out to 6 months but the failure of a different anti-fungal to help me - should I retest or let this rest for good?

Thank you

Response from Dr. Conway

At this stage, I might do a biopsy of the affected area, to make sure another diagnosis is not being missed. As an antifungal, I would probably move to something in pill form, such as ketoconazole or, even better, fluconazole.

flu shot
Effect on your body when your not taking meds