autoimmune disease. please answer!!!!

Hello doctor. I wanted to know if there are any autoimmune diseases that contain the p24 antigen found in HIV ?? I've been tested twice for HIV and p24 comes back equivocal? everything else is absent.

Response from Dr. Conway

There are a small number of people that generate equivocal results on testing for HIV antigens. The cause for this is not clear, but it does not relate to autoimmune diseases or other illnesses.

I would probably receommend that you have an HIV antibody test done along with a CD4 count and an HIV PCR test. If all of this is negative or normal and you have not been recently exposed to HIV, you can ignore the p24 result you describe.

Thank You Dr. Brian.
Dr. Conway - Please answer this immunology test question from Canada!!!