Ziagen Fear

Dear Dr. Conway, I'm not sure if this is the proper forum, but wanted to ask you anyway. I think your one of the best! After a two year break from my meds, I have to re-start, and also have a new HIV Doc. He wanted to add Ziagen to my previous meds,Reyataz,Norvir,Truvada. I used to take the Ziagen 5 years ago, and had to stop ALL meds due to numerous side effects. I am afraid to take it after reading all the info the pharmacy gave me. Do you think it's OK for me to take this medication again? THANKS FOR BEING HERE Doc!!! Concerned in Vegas:)

Response from Dr. Conway

I would carefully discuss with your doctor what the side effects were that led to the discontinuation of your previous medications. If there was any suspicion of Ziagen (abacavir) hypersensitivity, I would avoid ever using this agent again. If this issue is unclear, there is now a specific test (HLA B57-01) that can help establish if you are at risk of hypersensitivity or not. If you do not carry this gene, the risk of hypersensitivity is extremely low (if not to say zero), and you can most likely restart abacavir safely.

Neuropathy?
Reyataz side effects