Neuropathy?

Hi Dr Brian, Thanks for all your good work. Please answer these questions for me, I am really worried. 1.Are burning feet and hands signs of HIV? If yes,at what stage of infection do they occur? 2.Could acid reflux lead to burning mouth/tongue? I will be very happy if you would answer these questions. thanks.

Response from Dr. Conway

Burning feet and hands are very common and non-specific symptoms. Although they may occur in the setting of HIV infection, they are not specific for it at all and have many specific causes that have nothing to do with HIV. They rarely (if ever) are the sole symptom of HIV infection.

As for the burning in the mouth, it can certainly be a manifestation of acid reflux. Once again, this has little to do with HIV as an isolated symptom (or even if it is present with the neuropathy).

HAART and weight training
Ziagen Fear