Please help me understand this, do you think this will also affect HIV window period or a false result.

Hi Dr. Brian,

second try, please answer and advice me on this.

New update from Body on March 1st.

http://www.thebody.com/updates/2007-03-01.html

Herpes Treatment Can Control Herpes and HIV Viral Load, Study Finds Treatment with the herpes drug Valtrex (valacyclovir) not only reduces the viral load of herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), but also reduces HIV viral load in women coinfected with HIV and HSV-2, according to new study results. Although its HIV-fighting ability was modest, the suppressive effects of Valtrex on HIV viral load appeared to increase with time, and were enough to suggest the drug may help slow HIV disease progression. However, more studies are needed to confirm these results. (Web highlight from aidsmap.com)

I saw this article, based on this do you think that valtrex may affect the HIV Elisa antibody test, slow down the ability to find HIV antibodies in elisa test? meaning longer window period or no sero conversion at all.

Please answer Dr. Brian. Please help me out.

My situation is that, I had an exposure in 2001, I was prescribed valtrex for fifteen days for HSV-2, but later on in the future all my blood tests showed that I don't have herpes 2. Based on that do you think all the Valtrex which i have used, six years back for fifteen days, would have reduced my HIV viral load if i had any, because I know for sure I didn't have herpes 2. After that I got tested for HIV Elisa and other STD's, I had 7 elisa HIV tests and all of them are negative, almost up to 6 years after the exposure.

1) DO you think because of my valtrex, is it still showing all my HIV test results as a false negatives or is it still in the process of sero conversion, like I mean a delayed window period.

Do you suggest me any other test or do you think I should wait longer.

2) I have seen your previous posting that Valtrex will not affect HIV test result, but still i ask, after reading this article where it says Treatment with the herpes drug Valtrex (valacyclovir) not only reduces the viral load of herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), but also reduces HIV viral load in women coinfected with HIV and HSV-2, according to new study results. Although its HIV-fighting ability was modest, the suppressive effects of Valtrex on HIV viral load appeared to increase with time, and were enough to suggest the drug may help slow HIV disease progression. However, more studies are needed to confirm these results. (Web highlight from aidsmap.com)

Please answer. worried well, and scared.

Response from Dr. Conway

The effect of Valtrex is purely on herpes simplex, not on HIV directly. The reason it seems to reduce the HIV viral load is that the herpes virus itself has an effect on HIV replication. The Valtrex reduces the amount of herpes in the body and removes this effect. The HIV viral load then decreases slightly, following the reomval of this stimulatory effect. So, in your case, without hepres, the Valtrex would not have had any effect on HIV (even if it had been there). You need to believe your negative HIV test results and move on, my friend.

elidel for anal itching.
HIV test.