life span of friend with AIDS

I recently found out my best friend has been diagnosed with full blown AIDS after he went to the doctor with pneumonia like symptoms. I don't want to ask him, as I feel uncomfortable, but is his life span now much shorter since he has AIDS and didnt catch it sooner? His CD-4 count is 25 and his viral load count is through the roof. I'm concerned about him, but hate to ask him any more questions as he is not in the best of moods now...thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Conway

Without going on specific HIV treatment, his risk of death over the next year is about 50%. However, if he goes on treatment and it is successful in suppressing his viral load to undetectable levels, it may be that he will live for several decades without succumbing to AIDS. The new treatments are safe, easy to take, and quite effective. Hopefully, he will be on some good combination soon if he isn't already.

status mixed
hoax or breakthrough?