Parotid Glands

My parotid glands were swollen for the first time 10 years ago. After that they are swollen in one night and get back again next day, no pain, just when I touch them. I am not sure if they will be from any cancer as they swollen and get back in 24 hours. I have to see an ENT specialist. What could that be?

Response from Dr. Conway

This is probably some inflammation of the parotid gland or some sewlling or blockage of the duct leading out of the gland. Although HIV itself may be a cause of inflammation of the parotid, this is not often the only symptom of the infection. This being said, I would encourage you to have an HIV test done if you think there is any chance you may have become infected.

Sulfameth/trimethoprim
drug content