Atripla - 4 weeks now

Hi, I have been HIV+ for 2+ years now, and have just had to start meds. My doc has prescribed Atripla. I also take an antidepressant and zocor (both of which I have been on for several years). I am still having a very rough time after 4 weeks --- major fatigue, nausea, headaches for days on end, light-headedness, etc. My doc feels strongly about Atripla for me, and I trust him whole-heartedly. He tells me that everyone's body is different, and it just may take longer for my body to adapt to this med -- so I am prepared to continue for a while. However, I am very interested in the experience of you and the panel of docs at TheBody. Have you heard of patients who may just take longer to adapt? Thanks so much... I am eager for your response.

Response from Dr. Conway

I wonder whether you are experiencing some of the neuropsychaitric side effects of the Sustiva part of the Atripla. The nausea may relate to the liver toxicity of the same drug. You may want to talk to your doctor about going off all therapy for a couple of weeks to see if the symptoms truly relate to the treatment. Alternatively, if you and your doc are concerbed about going off therapy, you may discuss just switching the Sustiva to something else to see if this helps at all.

Mac and Cysts
Sulfur Allergy