Managing Folliculitis

The problem of folliculitis.

Everyone's manifestation of this responds differently to treatments; however, upon experimentation, I found a rather benign and effective treatment that was unexpected (which I shared with my ID doctor).

I use Lamasil "clear" foot spray. The cream does NOT work, and it's a suprise as this is an antifungal.

It doesn't cure it, but it does make it go away within a couple of days.

Here's what I do:

Shower, wash all the bedding (bleach it!). Treat your pillows with lysol or something that won't irritate you.

Spray affected areas after you shower - this is typically the back, chest, scalp.

Spray the bedding (at least for a couple of nights).

After this time, you should hopefully see the symptoms begin to subside. Then you can stop until another outbreak begins.

I hope this will be helpful to the readers here!

Response from Dr. Conway

Thank you for your contribution. There are 2 important points that you raise here. First, the importance of cleanliness and sanitation in controlling conditions such as folliculitis. Also, the causes may be multiple and include a component of fungal infection, that may need to be addressed to clear up the whole problem. I would caution all the readers to not try the regimen described here without discussing it with your doctor. This being said, bringing it up with your doctor for the purposes of discussion sounds like a great idea to me...

weight gaining
was on anti depressant(citalopram) for two years and was drinking alcohol in the same two years time, before i got tested. WIll that effect my HIV test result or any other STD test results.