Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Managing Folliculitis
Jul 19, 2007

The problem of folliculitis.

Everyone's manifestation of this responds differently to treatments; however, upon experimentation, I found a rather benign and effective treatment that was unexpected (which I shared with my ID doctor).

I use Lamasil "clear" foot spray. The cream does NOT work, and it's a suprise as this is an antifungal.

It doesn't cure it, but it does make it go away within a couple of days.

Here's what I do:

Shower, wash all the bedding (bleach it!). Treat your pillows with lysol or something that won't irritate you.

Spray affected areas after you shower - this is typically the back, chest, scalp.

Spray the bedding (at least for a couple of nights).

After this time, you should hopefully see the symptoms begin to subside. Then you can stop until another outbreak begins.

I hope this will be helpful to the readers here!

Response from Dr. Conway

Thank you for your contribution. There are 2 important points that you raise here. First, the importance of cleanliness and sanitation in controlling conditions such as folliculitis. Also, the causes may be multiple and include a component of fungal infection, that may need to be addressed to clear up the whole problem. I would caution all the readers to not try the regimen described here without discussing it with your doctor. This being said, bringing it up with your doctor for the purposes of discussion sounds like a great idea to me...

Previous
weight gaining
Next
was on anti depressant(citalopram) for two years and was drinking alcohol in the same two years time, before i got tested. WIll that effect my HIV test result or any other STD test results.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.